Behind the name Bennet Ann

2:10 PM




The story behind her name: Like with Watson's name we had been thinking about her name, should this baby be a girl, for quite a while. In fact, it was a name we loved before we even knew if Watson was a boy! Seth actually came up with her first name, and I wasn't opposed, as I had fallen in love with the name (as a girl name) around 2013 and have always had an affinity for Elizabeth Bennet, so the name has a classy, vintage, girly feeling to it (for US). 

Bennet (pronounced as "Ben-net") : Blessed. Yes, it's typically a last name (Like Watson's name). Many of you know our story and many don't. We really wanted our children to be two years apart. God decided, they should be a little further apart, and for a reason, some we haven't even learned yet. After ten months of trying for a second baby (not very long in hindsight), I (Lara) decided and came to terms with the fact that we may be done having our own biological babies. See, with Watson and with many other members of my family (*cough* my sister), getting pregnant happened easily and with a small amount of effort. That was, after all, our experience with Watson. A year ago, this month, I thought I would be finding out I was pregnant with a second. Every month after that was a roller coaster of emotions hoping I was pregnant, finding out I wasn't and trying to find the strength and emotions to try again the next month. I felt God telling us that we are blessed. He has blessed us tremendously with what He has given us already and we were JUST as blessed with one baby as we were with twenty. How fitting, that her name means blessed. Of course, as many stories go, once we stopped trying, God opened my womb. The timing didn't seem perfect (and sometimes still doesn't) as we are still in transition from Seattle to Texas, but it really is. In the midst of the chaos and confusion of life, God has given us a sweet blessing in the form of Bennet. 

Also, we have a deep seated desire for sweet Bennet to not only be a blessing to us, but to so many. We pray her character will be humble, and sensitive to others, but also confident in her faith and convictions. As we prayed for her yesterday, God brought 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 to our attention. I'll include the passage below but found myself praying those things over her little body. We so desire for her to be a cheerful giver, her time, her talents, her things. We desire that God builds in her a character that is so much an example of how generous he is toward us, in the way she acts, talks and interacts with the elderly, her elders, her own friends and generation, babies younger than her, etc. We pray she is a friend to all. 

The Cheerful Giver
The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! (2 Corinthians 9:6-15 ESV)


Ann (without an e):  As I have researched the meaning of the name Ann, I found that it is actually a form of Hannah, the sweet momma who couldn't have babies and prayed and prayed and prayed, and God gave her Samuel. Not only is that amazingly fitting, but it also means "grace" Hannah's story in the bible is one of God's grace. Bennet's story already is one of God's grace, and part of our deep seated prayer is that she would be FILLED with God's grace. (also our second choice for her middle name was the name Grace!)

Also, we chose the name, because it belongs to my (Lara's) grandmother, Margaret (Peggy) Ann. Also in deciding on the name, we found that it ALSO is the middle name of Seth's grandmother, Linda. How perfect for our sweet Bennet to carry on the legacy of that name. 

Both grandmothers have qualities we cherish and admire. When I spoke to Seth, he said he loves that his grandmother is enjoyable to be around. He loves that he can always tell that she loves him, and that she has always always made him feel cared for. He also appreciates that she's funny. I can only agree with these things. From the moment I met her, she made me feel like I belonged, and was where I belonged-- something that is so meaningful when you're trying to navigate around new people who are "all of a sudden" your family. 

My grandmother (Peggy), is the one female influences outside of my mom  that I just COULDN'T WAIT to see when I was younger (and even now). She probably thought back then it was because she "always" had a gift for me. But that wasn't it. She took time for me. She made me feel special. She was generous, but not only with clothes for me and my barbie, but with her time. I want that for my sweet Bennet. I want her to have a role model like my sweet grandmother, but also for her to be that for other people. 

P.S.: I, Lara, also really like Anne of Green Gables and all the wisdom (though sometimes dramatic) Anne Shirley gives throughout those books. I know she would think we were less distinguished and that Ann just looks dreadful ;-)) 


Thank you for reading this and for celebrating the life of sweet Bennet Ann. We look forward to meeting her, and we look forward to watching Wastson fall in love with her with us. We cannot wait to see what blessings God has for us through her and for her. 

Love, 
Seth and Lara

(I'll end with a cute photo of Seth telling Watson about Bennet) 

Thank you for Reading!

0 comments

Popular Posts