Report. Cards.

12:22 AM

I never thought I would say I was thankful for Report Cards and Parent Teacher conferences. Oh, but I am. I get to sit, drink coffee and reflect on how faithful Father has been to answer prayer requests.  And THEN I get to sit with parents and talk about how God is working in the lives of their children - and we get to laugh and cry and relish in the power of the gospel. God is allowing me to see how amazing it is to get to witness the heart change and growth in these children. I get to sit and reflect on how the gospel has the power to change lives and redirect that natural bend we have toward sin, back toward the saving power and grace of Jesus Christ.


A year ago, I had no clue if I was going to be able to work in Seattle or even find a job. Those who followed and know the amazing story of how God literally picked me up off the ground and placed me into the classroom at SCCS know that none of this could have been possible without God. He wanted us here. He went before us. Seth and I cannot deny that God wants us in this city for a purpose.


If I were to tell you the overarching theme of this past year I would say: I have grown in the gospel through watching and participating in the gospel with a group of 7 year olds. So, I get this amazing opportunity to partner with their parents in building a foundation of 1. the love of the gospel and 2. the love of learning into the hearts and minds of these children. I get the chance to cry with a parent over a child's struggle with pride and confidence. And then, on the reverse side of that thought I absolutely love sitting with a parent and our eyes being opened to the realization that a child broken free from the chains of perfectionism and pride and confidence. I love that I have had the opportunity to spend time in prayer with parents for knowledge to direct their children to the arms of Jesus. 


I recently gave a speech at our school's fundraiser. It expresses what is going on in my heart as I work on these report cards:



Yesterday, I planned to come and tell you tonight about a student, who I have seen grow tremendously in many different areas academically and spiritually, but before I explained all these areas in which she has grown, I decided it would be wise to pull this student aside to see if she realizes what God has done in her life this year.
So, during recess I asked her, “What have you learned the most this year?”
She looked straight at me and said, “I have grown in the gospel.”
I wasn’t even expecting that answer from an 8-year-old.
I asked her what that meant to her, and she said she understands more of who Jesus is.
So, we sat there and we started to dissect her year together.
Those times she felt lonely? God used his story to remind her that she is not alone. He is always with her.
Those times she had a bad attitude over an assignment she didn’t want to do? She remembered that Jesus revealed her selfishness and her need for a rescuer.
The time she got into a disagreement with a friend? We remembered together how God revealed her pride, and how God used that time to show her true humility and weakness. We remembered that Jesus walked through humiliation perfectly so that even when we succumb to our pride, we have his good reputation.
What about that time when she pretended she didn’t know how to do her math assignments just so she could get the attention of her teacher? The gospel even applied to this situation. We talked about the first lie that Satan told Adam and Eve—that God’s love wasn’t enough for them. He convinced them they needed more than God’s love.
But could she also see God working in the every day things? “What about at recess?” He provides rest and fun and laughter.
In math, as she practices her multiplication facts, she hears about how perfect God is. 
In phonics she hears how creative God must be to give the letter e so many jobs. By simply adding an e to a word, all the sounds in a word can change!
As she says a chant about ants working underground, she hears Proverbs 6:6: “Go to the ant, you sluggard, remember his ways and be wise.”
Truth surrounds her.
As I stand back and see that this child has grown academically, she has grown in self-control, in love and good deeds, in maturity, I see the message of the gospel fully covering this child.
The Socratic Method, on which Classical Education stems, is based on the idea that that there is a truth, it can be known and it can be explained. The gospel is the only truth there is.
My hope and prayer is that every student who walks through Seattle Classical Christian School would see every situation they encounter through the lens of the truth that is the gospel.



  

Thank you for Reading!

0 comments

Popular Posts