Restore to me the joy of my salvation

5:01 PM

Bread is life. They are synonymous. Perhaps in a previous post I explained this, but in many middle eastern cultures the words bread and life are one in the same. There isn't a difference. How much more significant this makes it when Christ says, "I am the bread of life.... this bread IS my flesh."? (John 6) Today as I ate at an Afghan restaurant I ate bread, and as I ate it, I ate it slowly. "I am the bread of life..." was being whispered in my ear with each bite I took. I saw a man sitting by himself the other day. He looked lonely, he looked homeless almost. He was sitting outside at a restaurant, and he held a piece of bread and he ate it slowly. I glanced across the street and saw another man eating a sandwich. How different would our world look if we truly feasted on THE bread of life?


I hate quoting Matt Chandler, because among many believer my age it seems he has become a "fad"-- the newest person to quote... and just as Matt said himself, we quote other preachers, and speakers and books and not the bible. We live vicariously through another person's faith, other than our own, because if we start reading the bible on our own, we know Father will want to deal with our idols and our faults first and we don't want to face that.... but I want to post a prayer he prayed at the end of a sermon, simply because it's the prayer of my heart today as I sit in Hamburg, Germany... as I pray for the team here, the souls here, as I am becoming broken because Father is showing me what it looks like to feast on him and drink of him...

Father help us. If you won't enlighten the eyes of our heart, if you won't speak to us, if you won't-- than all our effort would be for nothing, so we ask not that we would run hard, or even well, but that you would stir in our hearts an affection for you that would lead to movement outside of motivation from preacher. If you would do something in us tonight, if you could hear us as your children, crying out for your help... we agree with our brother David, restore to us the joy of our salvation, make fresh what has grown stale... we thank you Father, for the joys and the sorrows and trust that you are bringing about in us our good, our joy and your glory. I pray with the things that have been spoken and revealed by your spirit that you would haunt us tonight as we lay in bed, tomorrow when we wake up... haunt us.

Thank you for Reading!

0 comments

Popular Posts